The Jagiellonian University is the oldest university in Poland and one of the oldest universities in Europe. It was founded in 1364, on the initiative of Kazimierz III Wielki, under the name Academy of Krakow. In 1400 was renovated by Władysław II Jagiełło, founded by Jadwiga Andegaweńska. His deep ties with the Jagiellonian dynasty contributed to today's university name.
Jagiellonian Uniwersity occupies the highest place in the rankings of Polish Universities because of the high level of education, which represents and achievements of students and graduates. The university grew over the years and enriched by new buildings. Along with the larger surface area it was also coming departments. Today, the Jagiellonian University consists of 12 departments – almost all fields of science and, additionally, Medical College, which includes 3 medical faculties.
The university has own buildings in the entire city - it has 4 separate campuses. First in the Old Town, the second next to the campus in the vicinity of University of Science and Technology and Agricultural University of Cracow, the third campus was established several years ago in the Ruczaj district, and the fourth is buildings Medical College.